|Canterbury Cathedral is covered with sculptures of important business men, saints, queens and kings, and gargoyles and grotestques.|
|The delightful village river and riparian garden. They must be required because every town had them!|
By the way, riparian is a fancy word that means "by the river." I learned that from Hyacinth Bucket. Who says t.v. is not educational?
Sherrie's Travel Tips
Because, you know, I'm such an experienced traveler now!
1. Buy the best noise canceling ear buds you can afford. They help
not only on the plane, but in the hotel and the tube.
2. Be kind to your feet! Wear the comfortable shoes. Pamper your
feet in the evenings.
3. Smile and talk to everyone who shows an interest. You never
know what great stories you will hear.
4. Go grocery shopping. This is where I see the biggest cultural
differences. And, it's fun! Do you know milk is not refrigerated in
5. Don't get a bed and breakfast down the street from a hospital and
across from a university. Both make for some noisy nights.
6. Don't panic! There will be problems; there will also be solutions.
7. Eat the dessert!
8. Follow your nose, but remember your toes. Exploring is great! But
there is always a price to pay.
9. Watch the local television. The commercials are sooo different.
10. So what if you are a tourist. Enjoy it! You paid big bucks; you
have the right to walk slow, take a million pictures, and gawk at
the sights. Those locals, the ones rolling their eyes, they would
do the same if they came to our towns.
11. Go to the bathroom every time you see one, even if you don't
really need to. You never know when you will see another one.
11 1/2. Wash your hands with soap every chance you get!
12. Fend off homesickness by emailing home and by listening to your
favorite music on your I-Pod. It's amazing how a little Willy
Nelson can restore a girl's equilibrium.
13. Don't avoid people. We are all here for each other's
14. A big, friendly American smile is your secret weapon! The drawl
doesn't hurt, either.
15. Don't shave your legs with a new razor when you're jet lagged!
|A view of The Thames which is still a working river. In the midground in the HMS Belfast which served in combat during World War II. You can take tours of it. And of course in the distance is the most beautiful crossing, Tower Bridge.|